Friday, December 16, 2011

Words, words, words

I wanted to write a humorous blog today, but here's a tip for anyone that wants to be funny, and is, but is VERY new to doing it with a world-wide audience (a bit nervous No wonder stand-up comedians are all so neurotic, good grief) DON'T watch a VERY professional comedian on his special on TV first. You will laugh all the "funny" right out of you thinking of all of the people around that are SO much better at it. ALTHOUGH, if you take into account that many have writers, and even if they don't, they have, usually a year before they have to come up with a new "bit", so that helps a LITTLE.

SO...the first reason I wanted to be funny today is that I've been on the soapbox about that whole "driving and dialing" thing, twice now..wanted to give you a break.
And, second, I, for reasons unknown to me, except to say that it's just the way my mind works; if I don't have the chance to be, at the least, amusing in front of someone ( I live to make people laugh and/or just feel better than before I walked by)on a regular basis, my brain starts just leaking random thoughts, and the one today was this. 
I was thinking about the final scene in the first "Pirates.." movies, where Johnny Depp says, "Yo ho, me Hearties.." and I though, "you know, yo ho basically means hello, get moving or generally a good cheer sort of statement, BUT, if you just add a tiny little comma at a critical place, as in 'Yo, ho", well, you have an ENTIRELY different sentiment...and possibly a catfight in the bargain.
It's like that line of words I gave you a while back to punctuate:
That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is
Where you put the punctuation, and which item you use, makes all the difference. One was is the way it was meant, totally harmless, but one way sounds argumentative, another, sort of depressing, and yet another, a bit British. You still haven't gotten it? Well, you can email me, and I'll tell you, if you like, or send me your answer. I KNOW you can do it.

More later, must eat.
Dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment