Monday, December 26, 2011

Something different, stick with me

 The Sounds of madness.....by Dragonfly Davis

Unbidden they come, the tunes I have heard.
 No warning or reason, not so much as a word.
They play and they play til I think I will scream.
I would wake myself up, but it's never a dream
It could be a line of a jingle or tune. 
When will it STOP? Cannot be too soon.

I write poetry on the side, have a decent collection working. Should have enough to publish soon. But the topic today is the subject of the poem. Unbidden music in my head. I know that everyone gets a piece of a tune stuck in their head on occasion, like if you hear something catchy from a jingle, or a very popular song, you'll have the whole jingle play, or at least a snippet of a song, and that is normal, as I understand it. BUT, having it happen a LOT, is not. It is common in depression and especially with anxiety. It's like you don't feel bad enough, but your brain has to torture you with something more. And I wouldn't MIND the unasked for soundtrack to my life IF they were at least things I enjoyed hearing. I do NOT enjoy the song from "Gilligan' s Island" playing, sometimes for hours at a time, or any number of product jingles that I'm trying really hard NOT to think about, so as not to start one up, because it's like telling someone NOT to think about zebras. Once that thought is in there, it's there for a bit. So now, Gilligan is in there, but sometimes I can crowd them out with music that I choose to here, and even though the unwelcome stuff is already IN my head, I can smother it every so often. but as soon as I stop the other music, it very often pops back in. I'm telling you about that to tell you this. When you have some mental conditions, this is apparently a common disturbance, so if you see someone humming or whistling an otherwise annoying tune, please forgive them, there is a very good chance that, at least for the time being, they can't help it. And if they "infect" you with the song accidentally, don't take it personally. Now sometimes, if a friend finds the particular ditty I have roaming about in there funny or otherwise amusing, when they are about to leave, I'll sing a bar or two to send them on their way. And I know that, at least until they turn on the car radio, and maybe even after they arrive where they're going next, it MIGHT stick with them long enough to see that it's not all that funny to be tormented, sometimes for days like this. I wish that, at least sometimes it'd be something I like. Of course, a whole day of any song can get pretty tedious, trust me...
if you don't believe that, just relax for a minute and remember this song from "Friends"...."I'll be there for you", and you probably won't be able to let it go until you can at least remember the first verse. Cute song, but not cute enough for all day. BUT, it beats that "three hour tour" thing, right?

All for now, maybe back later. Working on the books
Your bud, Dragonfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment