Friday, December 9, 2011

So, is it cold where you are? It's going down to the twenties here tonight. I LOVE the cold, but the heating bill, not so much. 

Okay, where were we? Did you ever notice that sentence is a digression of letters, btw? AND I have a riddle of sorts, well, more of a puzzle to see how many people are listening. Correctly punctuate this sentence and then email it to me....
That that is is that that is not is not is that it it is
Okay kids, game on. Small clue. Answer is in the book "Flowers for Algernon". A long forgotten classic, made into a movie in the '70's that would reduce pretty much anyone to tears. (It was called by a different name, but telling THAT would be too much of a clue, especially for anyone old enough to have seen it.)

Oh yeah, we were discussing, or I was, when this wonderful country (and before I go further with this remark, I have to say I am NOT a nationalist. I think that religion and nationalism are the two most common reasons for war and if we'd all stop worrying about borders, realize we are ALL simply humans, period..we're all basically mutts at this point anyway..can't we just be EARTHLINGS, and get along?) become "Land of the ME, and home of the Knave"? (knave in this case meaning the one definition..."deceitful person") We seem to just be looking out for #1. And I get that we are in such dire straits right now, and it's gonna get much worse before it gets better..but what happened to "NEIGHBORhoods" and looking out for each other out in the world, and at work, especially? Remember, the whistle blower thing? Why is it that a whistle blower in football, basketball and soccer is a GOOD thing, but at work, not so much? They are all doing the same exact thing...pointing out foul play, right? So why in play, but not work? Give that a bit of thought, could you?

I don't do holidays either. I think we should be nice to each other all year round, don't you? The "holiday spirit" would be perpetual, drivers would be paying attention, be nice and let you into their lane and all, be polite in stores and on the street. Why will you nod kindly at the guy down the block at Christmas, but not after or before? Has he changed at some point? Quit being hypocrites and either be nice all the time, or not at all...very confusing, especially to those of us with mental issues that think it's great that the new neighbors, or service people are suddenly so nice, and a month later, they're back to being the way they were, and you're lucky to get a mumbled "yeah, hi" the rest of the year. I DO have to say that all MY service people are nice to me all year round because I don't just tip on holidays, or take the time to tell the boss how great they are, or email the company about a particular store at a certain time of year, it's my usual. (and I'm nothing special, not by a long shot, just take an extra minute here and there, that's all) And you know what? If you need a reason to get started being nice, sometimes it pays off. You get better service. My mailman will run a package up to me if the "box compartments" are full, rather than wait a couple days, just because I visit for a minute when we meet up down there. The office folks in my sub-division KNOW me, and respond when I have an issue, rather than either ignore me, or put me off.  There's my second button to start handing out.  "Nice pays off". Short, to the point, and will appeal to the worst offenders, Maybe. I may have to go into the button business. Anyone remember the '70's, when just about everyone wore a button about something, if not just a "smiley face" (man, did I hate THAT guy before it was over. I found a "smiley" that was giving a "raspberry". May dig him out and start wearing him again for the fuddy duddies of the world. MAYBE it's because you don't realize that giving an "atta boy/girl " to a service person or business makes the business grow, and the personnel are happier and give better service. I was a telephone banker at one time, and when a customer took the time to either tell my supervisor that I did a great job, OR really took some time and wrote in (this is before email was common), it made a real difference around "raise and bonus" times. So the next time you get "super service" on the phone, or even in person, ask for the manager, and give a kudo. Or go to www.whatever.com and write a glowing letter about that particular branch or store. It DOES make a difference sometimes whether that one stays open, especially THESE days. SO help a person out. YOU'D like an "atta boy/girl", wouldn't you? I know I love them. And KNOWING that you are influencing, even in your tiny way, the fate of an employee or store, is a really cool feeling, and again, nice pays. I wrote my local grocery store, which happens to be Kroger, about the one I go to, even though a competitor is literally across the street, because it wasn't there when I moved here, AND MY store has the nicest people. And you know what? I get a regular little "care package" just crammed full of recipes and really great coupons every month. Those freebies and dollar off coupons can add up to over $20 savings each trip. I saved, are you ready, because I about passed out when I looked it up, over $700 this year with those little thank you's. See, nice pays.

Okay, that's enough for tonight. I'd love to hear from you all, out there. You ARE out there, right? Or will I have to get this book published BEFORE you see me? Why wait until the last minute? Discover me now, and YOU get to say "oh, I was reading her WAY before the book came out"..but WAY is not too far off, I hope. Say a prayer. 

Sleep well, and see you tomorrow. 
Dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment