Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hanging on and being funny

Hi there, boys and girls. Thanks for coming. 
Well, I have gotten another client, thank the powers that be. I know that I will always have a new door or window opened for me, just have to keep watching AND (this is the important part here) DON'T lock those doors and windows so that they CAN be opened for you. In fact, put a spiritual candle in the window to announce you're ready for something to come in, or at least come by so that you can see it and grab on.
It's not a BIG client, but may turn into more as time goes on. I think I've mentioned that in addition to word herding, I have to support myself and supplement my disability income and work with those even MORE disabled that me. I can only do it part-time, not only because those are the rules, but my psyche can only take it for 20 or less hours a week, or less. Being "normal" for extended periods of time is VERY stressful to those of us NOT. You come away from the job not so much physically tired, but mentally. If you want a tiny taste of what I'm talking about, try going someplace new, and pretend to have a very difficult accent to fake (like a really good Scottish brogue is pretty tough, and I'm good at them), and as fun as it is at first, when you are finally done with that 3-4 hours, trust me, you'll probably be relieved it's over. Best example I can think of outside of the book, so.

About being funny. A comedian I really like, but cannot think of the name of right this second (and no, as my one friend is implying, this is NOT a "senior moment", but rather a result of two psychotic breaks and PTSD. I simply don't have perfect recall anymore...anyway), he said he'd have someone walk up to him on the street or at a party, and they'd actually say " be funny", or "say something funny". Unfortunately the only thing most of us that do observational humor would have to offer would have to do with the idiocy of someone coming up and doing that, and if you make your living doing it, not good. 
I sat down the other day, feeling funny, BUT it was raining, so I felt I should wait, given the lightning and all, and watched a recording of a Dennis Miller special... laughed myself stupid, literally. When the rain had passed, whatever had inspired me to be funny was LONG gone. Same thing with the book. I was writing a humorous passage, was literally in the middle of a thought, went to get something to drink, and when I get back...here is this sentence "I have to stop here and say this..." and I have not clue one where I was going with it, except it was going to be good, I remember THAT, dang it. This really IS harder that it looks. Now I could walk into the kitchen while someone else is in there and cut up for 30 minutes, come back here, and be blank. Right now, I'm harassing a friend about  NFL game day, a program apparently totally devoted to Tim Tebow, because no football show seems to be able to go ONE episode without mentioning this young man's name. Serious "bromance" going on with all these analysts and Mr. Tebow. Most of the time, he hasn't even PLAYED that day, for heaven's sake!!! Is he superman in shoulder pads?? Gad.
I guess I have to get for now, "Tebow'd "to death here, and even with music on the headphones, the name is still leakng through..aaaackkkkkkk. Yeah. it's Leonard Cohen's "I'm your man", and the one line "the beast won't sleep"...I KNOW Lenny, I KNOW. The Tebow machine has no signs of slowing down. I tell you, I'm developing what I will now personally dub the "Tebow tick", whenever his name is uttered, i have a knee-jerk reaction, and my brain goes into neutral. I'm sure he will, after the football career, go directly into politics, and probably, IF his career keeps going like it is, OR is cut tragically  short by an injury, will be President some day. I can just hear his inaugural speech AFTER first thanking his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, of course, thins is how it'll go,(probably) "Well, America, here we are, "first and ten", and I intend to take this country All The Way to the "Superbowl" of countries. We're going to sack the National Debt and do an end run around the terrorists and score against them". Good speech, right?
Can't you see it now?Just hope he's found Ms.Right by then. A virgin president? NOT a good idea. Can't think of anyone tenser, especially without football as an outlet for all that sexual tension, can you?

Okay, can't rag on him too much. Nice young man, but even in this bromance, can't they PLEASE manage ONE item that does NOT involve him? PLEASE, like Leonard is singing into my ears right now?

Alright, carry on for now, back soon, stay safe
Dragonfly

1 comment: