Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Driving, and other "casual" pursuits..

What in the world has happened to us? When did we all get SO important and SO busy that we have to, not only chat with passengers, which can be distracting enough, but eat, tweet, chat in the phone and TEXT, for heaven's sake?? Did I miss that memo?
I will be the first to admit that, on rare occasion, on my way to a client, I have been running late, grabbing fast food on the fly, and trying to wolf something down on the way, BUT, I at least pull into a parking spot to unwrap, season, and otherwise fix the food before driving, so that I can keep my eyes on the road, and not the food. I have even, while sitting and idling as a train goes by, quickly called someone. But if I get a call on the road, I try to just say, "hey, I'm driving, unless someone is dying, can I call you back when I "land", or at least give me a second to pull over?
I know just how quickly I can swerve, and most of the time, most people, if they don't almost hit something or someone, just blow it off. Not me, I've quit, and am telling everyone I know that if I'm driving, no phone. I don't want to hit and kill someone, especially a child, because I just HAD to know how someone's date last night went, SO badly that I could not wait until later. And if you have some news to tweet, and you're not the first, don't worry, I PROMISE you WILL NOT PERISH. I know that in this world, being the first to get info out is practically a societal mandate. But that has GOT to stop, really. People, really. There are folks being hurt, killed and even just VERY inconvenience because someone just HAD to tweet or text that they just saw something that absolutely could NOT wait! REALLY? And when your car insurance goes up in your area, and your demographic because of all the accidents caused by all this silliness, what do you do? Why, you complain and gripe (and text and tweet) about it, don't you? Hear of "cause and affect", anyone? We do NOT have the inalienable right to do anything in our car but DRIVE, period. It is a LICENSED activity, and as such, carries responsibilties. Sorry. If you want to do all that stuff, hire a driver. There are plenty of people out of work. Is "Big Brother" watching out for us? Yeah, he is, SOMEONE needs to, don't you think? I hope they get school kids to start "checking" their cells at the front doors, too. (there's another job for the jobless) The national IQ is going down fast enough with kids who can't spell anything, or do simple math without the help of online dictionaries and phone calculators. We are being saved from ourselves, and we should be very glad. Once you get used to NOT doing everything in a car, like I'm learning to do, you'll find that just listening to the radio and the joy of driving are, or at least can be, a very nice respite from the world, not your epicenter of activity. Trust me and try it for a week. Your tension headaches are likely to go away. Not to mention that carpel tunnel and "text thumb" you'll be staving off. There is a National No Smoking Day, why not one for all this bs going on in the cars? Like the ancient slogan went,"Try it, you'll like it", trust me.

I'm not interested in politics or being conservative or liberal...this is just plain old common sense, the definition of which was that way back in Victorian times, only the "common folk" had any sense, due to all the incest, etc. among royalty and such. NOW, the common seem to have the least sense of all. You have to admit that SOME things in your world just must have your complete attention, and when you consider it's not just YOU that could be affected, but innocent people too, I think that driving is one of them, don't you, really?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it could be on the editorial page of the newspaper. I can also imagine it as audio commentary like Paul Harvey used to do!

    I really like your point about "If you want to do all that stuff, hire a driver. There are plenty of people out of work." Haha! Great idea!

    Keep churning out the good essays!

    ReplyDelete