Friday, December 23, 2011

How about a bit of irony

I was just told this today, and was at once dumbfounded, and yet, sort of expecting something this ridiculous to be coming soon.
As I understand it, Ray Bradbury, the author of many wonderful books, but in this case, "Fahrenheit 451" (a book basically about a society that has put a ban on books and is burning them all because it is illegal and a serious offense to own one, believing that since knowledge is power and the powers that be don't want anyone causing any problems, books MUST be eliminated, so an underground society forms, each member memorizing one book, and reciting it constantly, so as not to ever forget... anyway, you MUST read it, and if you DO, BUY THE ACTUAL BOOK), has owned the rights to the book since writing it. His license is up for renewal. Mr. Bradbury is in his 90's and is opposed to all electronic "books", the brand names of which I will not mention, thereby adding kindling to the fire here, BUT to GET the new license to his own book, he MUST agree to allow it to be downloaded by the selfsame devices!!! How ironic is THAT, boys and girls?
About the only thing I can think of offhand that would be MORE ironic, but not that surprising, would be to hear that George Orwell, author of "1984", another Must read, finding a secret camera or listening device in his home, if, of course he hadn't died in the 1950's, although I'm sure they had such things then.
I am a big proponent of not wasting trees, but I know there are trees specifically grown to BE "paper trees", and that they are constantly being renewed, and I don't happen to think that a book is a waste of anything.
If asked what I would save in a fire or flood if I had the chance, and assuming that didn't count my "kids" or important papers, my books are my most cherished possessions, and that includes my antiques and everything. You cannot, I'm sorry, have a first edition of a Kindle, can you? Signed by the author and everything, maybe? There is an intangible worth and feel of a book. No, it's not likely that it's handwritten, but in a way, almost. You can feel the pages, and imagine the author holding the original manuscript in THEIR hands, and you feel a kinship with them. At least, I do. And yes, I'm aware that most novels are now just put on flash or thumb drives now, but bear with me? Now, if you continue to buy books, and just use these devices, say, when you're traveling extensively and can't lug around a lot of books, sure, they have a purpose. But if you just want something to read on the beach for a week or so, take a real book. If nothing ELSE, think of all the artists you're going to put out of work who design book covers, the photographers that specialize in the picture of the author on the back, it goes on to include the growers of trees, printers, producers of ink, it's endless. Aren't enough people out of work?  I'm sure there is a "save your place" button on these devices, but it doesn't have the same touch and wonderful aroma as a leather bookmark that your parent or grandparent, or even your spouse or friend gave you, does it?
Just think about it, would you? Thanks
That's all I'm saying.
Electronically yours,
Dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment