Thursday, December 1, 2011

Starting the "campaign"

Okay, the primary, but not nearly only, reason I'm here is to campaign to make country-wide changes on some words, and the first is the word NORMAL, especially as it applies to people. I think it undermined the confidence and feelings of sef-worth of those of us who do NOT fit into that very rigid and subjective definition I am petitioning everyone to get behind me and start a ' Be Usual, not Normal" campaign. I mean, I want buttons, t-shirts, bumper stickers...whole works. I MAY even get the buttons made and send out for free + shipping sometime soon.

According to Websters New World Diction circa 1974..
Normal: adj.
conforming (that means being EXPECTED to)  with or constituting an accepted standard or norm; especially corresponding to the average of a group.

Now, that is the relevant definition, AND the word usual IS also mentioned, but no one uses it, and I think it is a LOT more "feelings" friends, personally.
Interestingly, NORMAL is NOT a cross-over word for usual.

Usual: adj., such as in the common or ordinary use; such as ordinarily happens; customary; habitual. NOW, you tell me, is that not a less rigid and mean sounding word meaning basically the same thing? I think someone, somewhere decided that they didn't want to be considered common or ordinary..but Normal does not mean extraordinary, OR common, for that matter. And what's wrong with common...means the same thing as normal.

More later, and don't forget the eggs.

Now, go out there and be usual, or even UNusual, that's totally cool. Just stop dragging the ball and chain, and undermining word normal around anymore. 
Try it, you'll like it, and it's a great little conversation started anywhere..especially if you are wearing the button I'm going to make. If anyone has any design or wording suggestions, please send them to me. But I'm dating this blog so that it's known that this is MY persona campaign.

All fired up for my interview for a new position today, wish me well, say a prayer.
So really, I'm going for now, gotta eat before greeting the tigress.

Bye for now from my angle, Dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment