Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Reverse Bucket List

So, for my international readers, a bucket list is sort of a national obsession. It is a list of all the things you haven't done, but want to do before you die. It is often things like jumping out of perfectly good planes, climbing mountains, or other lofty or crazy things.
The items rarely seem to be anything noble or altruistic in nature.
Most would rather bungee jump than foster a child, etc.
So I have been thinking...instead of making a bucket list of silly things I want to do, I am making a list of things I have done that I can be proud of, so I can see if I need to try to do more of those instead. 
I have been feeling like a bit of a failure lately, but since I started making this list, I am feeling a little better. 
I haven't scaled any mountains, but I have talked a couple souls off of ledges, both literal and figurative.
I haven't traveled very much, but I have made friends in other lands with whom I exchange knowledge and engage in the sort of mutual respect and support our countries should.
I haven't had my own children, but I have mentored a few out of taking wrong turns in life.
Over all, I like this list so far. There are goals I still have that I want to add to it. 
I want to finish my book on mental illness.
I want to do one more job.
I want to make more friends.
I  will probably never do anything spectacular like hang glide over a rain forest, or even visit Scotland and Wales, but as long as I can make one person smile every day, or think, or laugh...then I think my list is pretty full and pretty great.

Just sayin'
Dragonfly Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment