Sunday, January 14, 2018

Relationships

Tricky things, relationships. I have many, of all shapes and sizes. Some are casual and light, some are deep and complicated.
The ones I want to discuss now are the deep ones, the relationships that keep me warm when I am feeling cold and lonely, or scared, confused, angry, joyous, or simply feeling the strains of being bipolar.
These seven very special people keep me on an even keel. They all have something special that I need, and each one is very important to me. Thee people are, unfortunately, far flung from me, physically. From New York, to Pennsylvania, across the country to Arizona and California...around the world, and in of all places, Russia, they nevertheless nestle close to my heart  in most ways that matter.
New York and Arizona, you are my sisters from different misters. You could not be more different from each other, and yet, you both provide me with true camraderie when I am feeling sad, or even worse. You know just what to say, how to make me laugh, and most important, how to make me feel important just because I exist. You are touchstones, and at different, very intense times in my life, you were there to hold my hand in the darkness that was my life until the light shone again. And you continue to bring me joy every day..even though you can both be terrible brats..but that's what little sisters sometimes are.
My friends in California, you have filled a hole in my life and heart that would have been taken by children, had I been lucky enough to have them. Through you, I get to know the joy and pain of motherhood, and grannyhood, too. You got me in front of a camera, and make me accountable for my whereabouts on a regular basis. You bug me about my health and welfare and perform yearly miracles by getting a confirmed introvert on a plane every spring to come and experience, well, experiences for two amazing weeks. You have taken the burden of the handling of my affairs, should the worst happen, as your own. 
To my friends in Pennsylvania, England and Russia...at the start of deep relationships, there is a courtship phase. You meet, usually engaging in a mutual interest. At first, it's casual, then slowly, you start talking. Suddenly, you cannot talk to each other enough, you find you have so many common interests, you can't really believe it. So now, you are spending time together and then you broach the Devil's three...sex, religion and politics. Miracle of miracles, you are not only still speaking, but are seeing each other regularly. Then there is music, books, sense of humor...you have found a kindred spirit, you are home. You are now ready to run off into the the deep woods of Washington, or a remote and sparsely populated island with this person...but then, like all relationships, you go through a small cooling off period, after a white hot courtship. Is it over, have they tired of me, realized what a crazy person I am? The answer is no, silly rabbit, no killer....it is most definitely not over. It has just reached comfortability, true compatibility. There is no need for constant reassurance, it is no longer an unbaked cake. It is fully cooked and ready to be completely and thoroughly enjoyed. And enjoy you I do, so much. You bring the color, sound, scenery and wonderful dialog to my otherwise drab life. 
I have a few other friends that I get daily joy from, for whom I am grateful at all times. Without you, laughter would be rarer, I wouldn't be challenged so much, or have nearly as interesting a feed on Facebook as I do. Thank you all so much for being my friends, I cherish you all.

Just Sayin'
Dragonfly Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment